Sunday, March 3, 2013

Vegetable Broth

Recently I cleaned out our freezer.

Out went the meat.

Out went the cabbage.

Out went the chicken bones.

The meat found a new home.

The cabbage missed the garbage truck by 1/2 hour and spent the week fermenting in the garage.

My stock pile of chicken bones was going to be turned into chicken broth, but hey, wait a minute.  Isn't chicken broth an animal product?  Oh, yes it is!  Problem.  I can live without meat and I can live without cabbage but chicken broth is used in so many recipes.  What is a girl to do?  Make my own and with the help of my new friend, The Happy Herbivore, that is what I set out to do.



Look at all these pretty vegetables


12 - 1 cup containers of vegetable broth


The following recipe is taken from The Happy Herbivore, written by Lindsay Nixon.

Ingredients

1 onion, peeled
1 large carrot
1 celery stalk
3 to 4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 to 2 tsp yellow miso
4 whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf
3 to 5 oz fresh or dried herbs (any)
  I used oregano, thyme and rosemary

Plus any three of the following
1 small brown potato
2 to 4 small red potatoes
1 cup of mushrooms
1 bell pepper, seeded
1 medium turnip
1 medium zucchini
1 parsnip
1 leek

cider vinegar - splash (optional)

Directions

Add ingredients except vinegar to a large pot with 8 to 10 cups of water.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are falling apart, about 1 hour.
Turn off heat and allow to cool.
Remove vegetables.
Add cider vinegar if using.
Strain liquid.
Store in 1 cup containers.

This will keep in the fridge for up to three days or indefinitely in the freezer.

Note:  To make this soy free remove the miso and add salt to taste.













2 comments:

  1. Hmmm looks like your recipe was cut-off. Anyway I have 2 questions.
    1. Why is cabbage a bad vegetable?
    2. How long will veggie stock last? I use veggie-based Better Than Boullion to make mine (cause I am short of time in the kitchen) but last night I made about 3 cups too much and wondering if I can just freeze it for later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Aleigh, I fixed the cut off problem.
      1. Cabbage is not a bad vegetable. It was that I was being overrun with it and had no plans to use it.
      2. Your Better Than Bouillon will keep for a few days in the refrigerator and indefinitely in the freezer. I store my broth in 1 cup increments because a lot of recipes seem to call for just 1 cup.

      Delete